Sunday, July 12, 2009

Calamari Anyone??


Saturday was our practice tri in La Jolla. We arrived at 6am, set up two transition areas much like we will on race day and headed for the water. I pretty much suck swimming in the ocean, my vertigo goes crazy getting past the waves and I pretty much can only breathe on one side because I get so dizzy trying to bilateral breathe. There were lots of sting rays so I just kind of kept my eyes closed. Apparently while I was swimming there was a 4.0 earthquake, and GIANT SQUID WASHED UP AT LA JOLLA SHORES!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! Thank the lord I did not run into one of these bad larry's.
The ride was fine, although one of my teammates did get hit by a car. Each week I feel like I am reminded how dangerous biking actually is. As soon as I start to let my guard down I remind myself about stories heard and pump the breaks a few more times and never assume that a driver has seen me. Since my bike fitting a month or so ago, I got new pedals and shoes and they are just a bit different than what I am used to, which means that I was having some tension and straining my right ankle and foot. I went back to the bike store to see what they could do and they made some minor adjustments. I am so nervous to change anything at this point but I am going to ride a bit tomorrow to see how it feels, and if it still feels shaky I am going to put my old stuff back on so that I don't have to worry about it on race day.

Bri and I spent a portion of the day outside since it was too hot in the house. It gave me some time to admire my beautiful plants. I have such a green thumb. I especially like this picture because it shows my lifeless citrus plant with a thriving weed next to it! You can't see the others but there are about 15 dead plants behind it. I think I will give up on the whole plant thing. Lemons anyone??
Next week at this time, I will hopefully still be alive and will have completed 70.3 miles at Vineman!!! OOH BABY 6 days to go!!!!!!!! Not sure if I am more excited to see my dad, or to do the triathlon! Happy Sunday Funday to everyone!



No comments: