Saturday, April 4, 2009

I got soul but i'm not a soldier!

I am pretty damn spent right now. This week was a pretty grueling week for training. Our focus was strength which equals crazy hills. We headed out to Poway this morning and rode some of the longest steepest hills yet. Unfortunately I felt pretty lousy this morning with "bottom blues." And even though I wanted to scrap the work out altogether, I figured that there is no guarantee how I will feel race day so I just packed some extra tissues just in case and took off. It was yet again a beautiful ride. My coach kept warning us about the 9% grade downhill (thankfully it was a downhill) at mile 25. We pretty much climbed for about 20 miles, then hit a bunch of downhills. My hands were pretty much aching and I was just happy not to go over my handlebars. Nonetheless, I soldiered on! When I actually hit THE HILL, I could not believe it. I kept it at 15mph and pretty much prayed that no cars came by since it was pretty windy. After that it was pretty much a flat ride with some rolling hills. I can hardly believe I made it the whole 40 miles. It took 3 hours and 15 minutes. When we got back we took off for a run up a hill and I pretty much made it about a half hour before I decided that I had enough. All in all a good day.

I am taking off for Boston tonight on the red eye, so I should sleep well! Can't wait to see my family and friends and have a little fun at Opening Day at Fenway!!

No comments: